The College of Midwives of BC and the BC College of Nursing Professionals are planning to amalgamate to become the BC College of Nurses and Midwives, anticipated to occur on September 1, 2020. We are pleased to report that the proposed bylaws for the new college are available for review.
Board members and staff from the two colleges have worked together to create new bylaws. The Ministry of Health has also been kept closely apprised of our progress. The aim has been to create bylaws that will enable the new college to be fully functional from Day 1 of amalgamation on the basis of the following principles:
- to make no major changes besides those required to continue regulating the five professional groups (nurses, nurse practitioners, midwives, licensed practical nurses and psychiatric nurses);
- to make some changes necessary for the transition itself;
- to clarify or enhance bylaws that support our current work; and
- to update bylaws for the new governance framework.
Before these new bylaws can come into effect, we are required to give notice to registrants and the public and post them for three months. This gives everyone who is interested an opportunity to ask questions and provide feedback and is a key phase in the process. Feedback from registrants is especially useful as it provides us with insight into how the bylaws will be perceived and whether further clarification is needed.
We value and appreciate your feedback and hope you will take part in the consultation process.
What happens to your feedback?
All comments submitted will be considered by both colleges and the Ministry of Health before receiving final approval from the first board of the new college. If you prefer, you may provide comments directly to the Ministry of Health.
- Click here to go to the bylaw consultation page.