In accordance with the Bylaws of the BC College of Nurses and Midwives (BCCNM), an individual who is currently enrolled as a student in a midwifery education program recognized by BCCNM is eligible for Student midwife registration. A Student midwife registrant may only provide midwifery services in connection with fulfilling the conditions and requirements of the recognized midwifery education program in which the student is enrolled.
A Student midwife registrant’s registration will be cancelled if the student ceases to be enrolled in a BCCNM recognized midwifery education program.
UBC Midwifery Program and Internationally Educated Midwifery Bridging Program
Students of the Midwifery Program (MEP) at University of British Columbia (UBC) or participants of the Internationally Educated Midwives Bridging Program (IEMBP) at UBC must be registered with BCCNM as Student midwife registrants for the duration of the program.
Other CMBC Recognized Midwifery Education Programs
Students from other BCCNM recognized midwifery education programs intending to do clinical placements in British Columbia (BC) must seek Student midwife registration with BCCNM prior to the commencement of the clinical placements.
Instructions on how a student can seek registration with BCCNM are provided below.
Application and Process
To apply for Student registration:
- Create an online account.
- Complete an application form.
- Submit the application form with the following required documents to BCCNM by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (604-899-0794) or mail (900-200 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC V6C 1S4):
- proof of midwifery program enrollment; and
- notarized copies of two pieces of identification including proof of authorization to reside and study in Canada.
- Pay the application fee of $75 and GST. Instructions on online payment by credit card will be provided once application is received.
- Consent to criminal record check. Instructions on how to request and consent to a criminal record check in Canada and/or other applicable jurisdictions will be provided once application is reviewed.
- Pay the registration fee:
- $150 – annual registration for UBC MEP students and IEMBP participants; or
- $20 – per month for clinical placements only.
Instructions on online payment by credit card will be provided once application is approved.
The Student registration process can be found here.