In accordance with the Bylaws for College of Midwives of British Columbia, an individual who is currently enrolled as a student in a midwifery education program recognized by the College of Midwives of British Columbia (CMBC) is eligible for Student registration. A Student Registrant may only provide midwifery services in connection with fulfilling the conditions and requirements of the recognized midwifery education program in which the student is enrolled.
A Student Registrant’s registration will be cancelled if the student ceases to be enrolled in a CMBC recognized midwifery education program.
UBC Midwifery Program and Internationally Educated Midwifery Bridging Program
Students of the Midwifery Program (MEP) at University of British Columbia (UBC) or participants of the Internationally Educated Midwives Bridging Program (IEMBP) at UBC must be registered with CMBC as Student Registrants for the duration of the program.
Other CMBC Recognized Midwifery Education Programs
Students from other CMBC recognized midwifery education programs intending to do clinical placements in British Columbia (BC) must seek Student registration with CMBC prior to the commencement of the clinical placements.
Instructions on how a student can seek registration with CMBC are provided below.
Application and Process
To apply for Student registration:
- Create an online account.
- Complete an application form.
Note: In response to the COVID-19 pandemic and recognition of the challenges experiencing by applicants in getting section 4 (Disclosure of Past Proceedings) notarized, section 5 (Authorization) and section 6 (Declaration) witnessed, CMBC has temporarily waived these requirements for completing the application.
- Submit the application form with the following required documents to CMBC by email (firstname.lastname@example.org), fax (604-357-1867) or mail (900-200 Granville Street, Vancouver, BC V6C 1S4):
- proof of midwifery program enrollment; and
- copy of Canadian birth certificate, passport or proof of authorization to study in Canada.
- Pay the application fee of $75. Indicate on the payment form your selected mode of payment. You may choose to pay by credit card, or submit your application with a money order or certified cheque. Instructions on online payment will be provided once application is received.
- Consent to criminal record check. Instructions on how to request and consent to a criminal record check in Canada and/or other applicable jurisdictions will be provided once application is reviewed.
- Pay the registration fee:
- $150 – annual registration for UBC MEP students and IEMBP participants; or
- $20 – per month for clinical placements only.
Instructions on online payment by credit card will be provided once application is approved.
The Student registration process can be found here.